viernes, 24 de octubre de 2014

Presentations

I gave both of my presentation with María Cadenazzo. We had a good time preparing, rehearsing and delivering them. The first presentation was on the Brazilian ESP project and the second one on materials development which was on the material we prepared for Industrial Hygiene and Security course of studies. Here I leave the first slides of each presentations, the reflection done after each presentation and the feedback given.



























Reflection on 1°Presentation.
                I gave my first presentation on June 5th together with María Cadenazzo. We have talked about the Brazilian ESP Project. I will reflect, first, on our teamwork and then I will deal with my performance.
                To begin with, I should mention that working with María was a very nice experience. We have been able to work together in an efficient and collaborative way. I believe that the audience could see our teamwork reflected on our presentation and on our performances since we had rehearsed it individually and together. Therefore, it gave us confidence to stand in front of our classmates and teacher. Moreover, we were very supportive to each other which it was something that, in my opinion, made us feel comfortable while giving the presentation.
                As regards my individual development throughout the presentation, I must say that I was a little bit nervous at the beginning and when I feel like that I tend to speak very fast and sometimes make language and pronunciation mistakes. Hence taking that into account, I tried to speak slowly and to pause after each idea mentioned. However, I think that some mistakes slipped my tongue like the pronunciation of the word “project,” which was recurrently mentioned, but when I realized it I corrected myself. There were, of course, other mistakes like the pronunciation of the word “focus” which our teacher has pointed out. As a matter of fact, improving my pronunciation is something that I want to do.  Moreover, I tend to move my hands quite a lot when I speak so during the introduction of the presentation having my notes on my hands prevented me from doing so. Nevertheless, during the conclusion stage, it seemed that I relaxed and forgot about the position of my hands and arms and their position gave the impression of being defensive, something that I did not realize.
                When I was summarizing the presentation, I considered going back to the slides where the different parts of the presentation were shown and it was something we discussed with María but we did not carry that out and it was something I realized after we had finished. Moreover, I strongly believe we should have gone back to that slide in order to show visual support to our audience and then go back to the legacies because they were necessary for the following task. In my view, our conclusion had some flaws but it was memorable. First of all, when I was giving the instructions for the activity of opening the box, María was making students take some object from it. At that moment, I thought that while they were taking their objects they were not listening to my instructions, that is why, I doubted for a second and made a pause but then continued talking. Thus a member of the audience asked us to explain again because it was not clear. So I believe that we should have organized that particular activity in a better way so that misunderstandings were avoided. However, it is my opinion, that the main important aspects of the BESPP were its legacies and through the opening of the box and the realia representing the legacies, they will remember them forever so it was a very nice activity.

                To conclude, we have enjoyed working together and being in front of our classmates. Moreover, we need to improve some important aspects as a team and individually for our upcoming presentations. 


Dear Florencia,
I have read the reflection you’ve written on the presentation very carefully. I see you have accounted for many of my comments in the feedback I wrote. You have also explored other issues regarding your work and the experience delivering your talk and done it in a very thorough way. I am convinced that the awareness you’ve gained by reflecting in this way will help you make radical improvements in the next presentations you deliver. I’d like to point out a few grammar mistakes in the reflection:  be careful especially about the use of present perfect (I’m enclosing the reflection with those items highlighted in yellow)
With this I’ll close  this first cycle of reflections  on the process of learning how to present orally in an effective way and proceed to tell you what mark I would give to your work, which naturally includes  the reflection that you wrote and sent in time: 9(nine). Very good job!
I look forward to reading comments / questions in a next email if you have any
With all good wishes,

Pat


On this report, I will reflect on the presentation given on materials development together with María Cadenazzo on October, 3rd. First, I will deal with the delivery of the presentation based on the feedback given. Then I will consider the team-planning experience.
                To begin with, I believe that this second presentation has shown our improvement as regards presentations delivery since, in my opinion, we felt more confident and relaxed in the delivery and the organization of the presentation. However, when we had finished, I wrote down some of my weaknesses during the presentation. Most of the weaknesses are similar to the ones highlighted in the feedback given. Taking into account the structure of the presentation, we divided it in three parts but failed to make reference to them later on in the presentation. This could have been improved through the use of signposting language like “moving now to the third part of our presentation…” It is important to mention that we used signposting language effectively and we made eye contact with the audience. Nevertheless, as regards body language, I started the presentation with my arms crossed which was something mentioned in the previous feedback and I should have avoided. Once I realized it, I corrected it. Moreover, I spoke to the screen at times mainly when reading the examples. I realized that too at the end of the presentation. Another week point was the use of the language; I need to check the use of indirect questions since I am aware of this mistake. I rehearsed the presentation paying attention to the use of indirect questions but it seems that I have made some mistakes regarding this issue. Therefore, it is something I need to keep working on. Taking into account the visuals, we tried to make the presentation appealing and enjoyable to the audience. We should change some aspects like the font color in some slides to make them more readable.
                Team work was a very pleasant and a very fruitful experience since I learnt a lot from María’s comments and contributions during the whole process of materials development including planning and giving the presentation. At the beginning, I thought it was going to be hard to work together because we both had a very tight timetable but we managed to get together or worked online and the results were good. Furthermore, we complemented each other regarding knowledge and the use of technology to prepare the presentation. Actually, in my view, we worked well as a team since we supported each other and accepted productive observations.
                To conclude, I learnt a lot from the presentation planning and delivering it since this second time I had the chance to improve and also to put in practice what I learnt in a more confident way. I missed some important aspects but in general I think that my presentation skills enhanced.    Finally, I strongly believe, that despite the weaknesses mentioned before, we did a very good job in the delivery of our presentation because improvements could be seen.

Presentation on Materials Development Date 2nd October
CRITERIA DEFINING THE HOW (50%)
Student’s name: Florencia Barrionuevo
q  CLARITY OF PRESENTATION : STRUCTURE
 Your delivery was very clear, you spoke independently from notes and addressed the audience in a confident and friendly manner.
The talk was structured into 3 main points, which were not clearly referred to later on. A good thing would be to use ordinal numbers to announce / signal the different parts of the presentation as you move from one to the other . In that way structuring the talk and  previewing the points at the beginning actually serves the purpose of helping the audience to follow your talk and making the presentation more memorable
The conclusion was effectively done, by taking turns between the presenters. Nice quote to finish the presentation
q  USE OF LANGUAGE
q  USE OF SIGNPOSTING LANGUAGE
Very good use of language in general.
-Check this sentence: “so as it is easy for them to...”
- Careful with indirect questions
Signposting language was effectively used. Good eye-contact with most of the audience Careful with arms crossed!
There was reference to possible questions.
q  AWARENESS OF BODY LANGUAGE
You addressed the audience confidently, making eye contact with most of us. For some time you spoke to us with one arm crossed over the other one, in a closed, defensive gesture. Body language was not open and friendly until you realized that.
You spoke to the screen at times.
q  VOICE PROJECTION
You have a sweet voice with adequate projection ( for a small audience). The pace of delivery was adequate as well.
q  VISUAL MATERIAL :
The Power Point presentation was simple and clear. In general it was well used. The slides which contained green font (2nd, 3rd, the one about the principles and the one with the quote) were difficult to read.
q  TIMING.
OK
WHAT  (50%)
Relevant content. Theory and practice were linked. You were able to communicate this quite clearly.
Final mark :
To be given after you send your reflection

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario